When stuffed with a savory mixture of vegetables, an oversize baked potato makes a hearty and affordable entree.
This recipe combines sautéed mushrooms with wilted spinach and feta crumbles. A small amount of white wine vinegar adds a delectable tang, while pine nuts provide a necessary crunch.
To serve this meal — which feeds four for under $10 — to your family, get the recipe and
- 4 baking potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 bunches spinach, coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Bake the potatoes until cooked through, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet; add the spinach and cook until wilted. Stir in the vinegar and cook for 1 minute. Add the spinach to the mushrooms; add the feta and stir until mostly melted. Stir in the pine nuts and dill; season with salt and pepper.
- Cut a deep "X" into the top of each potato and squeeze together to open. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter to each potato then generously stuff each with the spinach mixture.
- Main Dishes, Potatoes
- North American