Popeye may have been partial to canned spinach to give him his giant muscles, but we prefer the fresh stuff. Despite the numerous health benefits of spinach (it's loaded with antioxidants and vitamins), we love the earthy flavor that it brings to all kinds of recipes. The addition of a handful of spinach can take your morning smoothie up a notch, and it's the perfect bed for a piece of warm, perfectly cooked fish (like salmon), as it will start to wilt slightly and absorb all of the great flavors. For more of our favorite ways to eat up this leafy green, keep reading.
- Throw a cup or two of spinach into your morning smoothie. It's a subtle way to load up on nutrients to start the day.
- Make the leafy green the star of your next sandwich, like in this spinach and avocado panini.
- Use spinach as a bed for a warm entrée, such as salmon or warm artichoke and mushroom salad. It adds a layer of freshness to the dish, and as it begins to wilt from the heat, it absorbs the flavor.
- Make creamless creamed spinach, a Michelle Obama favorite.
- Try creamy chicken with spinach as a creative filling for tacos or quesadillas.
- Indulge in a fast, easy vegetarian weeknight meal, Spanish-style spinach and garbanzo beans.
- When you don't have fresh spinach on hand, the frozen version is a useful option. Enjoy it in a classic spinach artichoke dip.
How will you be eating spinach today?
Source: Flickr User dogteaknit