- 1/4 cup diced pancetta (about 1/2-inch slice)
Olive oil, for drizzling
1 store-bought pizza dough
1 1/4 heaping cups grated Monterey jack
1/2 cup grated mozzarella
6 asparagus stalks, cut in half lengthwise, then chopped into 1-inch pieces
2 green onions, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan
10 basil leaves, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
Red pepper flakes, optional for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Oil a large cookie sheet and place in the oven.
- Heat a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until the fat is rendered and the pancetta is browned and starting to crisp, about 7 minutes. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, roll out the pizza dough to be a large square that will fit inside the cookie sheet.
- With a pot holder, remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Working quickly, place the rolled-out pizza dough on top of the pan. It will start to sizzle; this is OK.
- Sprinkle the Monterey jack and mozzarella evenly over the pizza dough. Top with the asparagus, green onions, pancetta, and garlic. Season the pizza with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top of everything.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the dough is crispy, the cheese is melted and starting to brown, and the vegetables are cooked through.
- Transfer to a cutting board or serving platter. Sprinkle with the basil, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes, if using. Enjoy immediately.
Makes 1 pizza.
- Main Dishes, Pizza