If you're a female and you like to cook, chances are you have a hungry male in your life who needs feeding. What do hungry husbands/boyfriends/sons/brothers/fathers like to eat? Simple foods like steak and sandwiches, or combine the two for the ultimate manly comfort food: the steak sandwich. Because of its genuine versatility, having a delicious steak sandwich recipe is a must for home cooks. Serve with a green salad and red wine for a romantic evening, or make a bunch for the boys to enjoy while watching baseball and drinking beer. Whether you're new to the kitchen or an old pro, make steak sandwiches based on your level of cooking expertise. Check out my two recipes: one for the novice and one for the advanced, just
3 oz roast beef (cooked eye of round roast) all fat removed
2 slices cheddar cheese (3/4 oz)
1/2 medium onion; thinly sliced
1 tablespoon milk
no-stick cooking spray
1 soft sandwich roll
- Thinly slice the roast beef and heat until warm in a 350°F oven.
- Saute the onion until limp about five minutes in a skillet coated with no-stick cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, tear the cheese slices into small bits and place them in a small saucepan with the milk. Melt on a stove in a saucepan, stirring twice.
- Layer the roast beef on the roll, followed by the onion and the cheese sauce.
- Wrap in foil and warm in the oven for several minutes.
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup prepared white horseradish
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, divided
3 1-inch-thick beef tenderloin steaks
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
8 ounces large shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps thinly sliced (about 5 cups) 1 cup beef broth
4 large croissants, halved horizontally, lightly toasted
2 cups arugula
- Mix mayonnaise and horseradish in small bowl to blend.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle tenderloin steaks with salt and pepper.
- Add steaks to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Using tongs, transfer steaks to work surface.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until dark brown, about 25 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth; boil until juices are reduced to glaze, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute.
- Season onion mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 croissant bottom, cut side up, on each of 4 plates. Spread each with horseradish mayonnaise and top with 1/2 cup arugula.
- Thinly slice steaks and divide among croissants. Top with onion mixture.
- Spread remaining mayonnaise on cut side of croissant tops. Place tops on sandwiches.