This dish cooks quickly, so before you begin, be sure to have all of the ingredients prepared.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 shallot, minced
salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes
1 large pinch fresh thyme leaves, chopped
juice of 1 lemon
3 plum tomatoes, finely diced (save everything, juice and all)
3/4 white wine
1/4 cup water
40-45 mussels, rinsed of any grit and debreaded, if needed
2 tablespoons of butter
2 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh chives
- Place the olive oil and garlic in a large sauce pot and cook over high heat until the garlic is light golden brown.
- Add the shallot and cook 1 minute.
- Add a pinch each of salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add the thyme. Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, wine, and water. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mussels and cover the pot. The mussels are cooked once they open completely. Do not continue cooking past this point, or they will shrivel and become tough. Divide the mussels evenly between two large bowls, leaving all the broth in the pot.
- Remove the sauce pot from the heat and whisk the butter into the broth. Add the chives, taste the sauce, and adjust the seasoning if needed. Spoon the sauce over the mussels. Serve immediately with crusty bread.
Makes 2 generous servings.
- Main Dishes, Shellfish
- North American