1 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup walnuts (about 1 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup (generous) strawberry jam
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whipping cream
6 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 1-pint baskets strawberries, hulled, halved
- For Crust: Combine flour, sugar and salt in processor and mix. Add walnuts; process until chopped. Add butter and cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add yolks and process just until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball; flatten to disk. Wrap in plastic and chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven 375°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Roll out dough between sheets of waxed paper to 11-inch round.
- Peel off top sheet of paper. Transfer crust to prepared pan, pressing dough firmly to fit pan and patching if necessary. Discard paper. Trim edges of crust. Freeze crust 15 minutes.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Spread jam in crust. Return to oven and bake until jam sets, about 4 minutes. Cool completely on rack.
- For Filling: Heat cream in heavy small saucepan over medium-low heat until tiny bubbles appear around edges. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and stir until melted. Cool until mixture is room temperature and beginning to thicken but still pourable, stirring occasionally, about 50 minutes. Pour chocolate filling into crust. Refrigerate until filling is set, about 1 hour 45 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. cover and keep refrigerated.)
- Arrange strawberries cut side down in concentric circles atop filling. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.
- Desserts, Pies/Tarts
- North American