- 4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
2 thin slices Swiss cheese (1 ounce each), cut in half
4 dill pickle sandwich slices
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 slices tomato
2 romaine lettuce leaves, cut in half
- Cut each pork chop nearly in half horizontally, stopping short of the opposite side. Open each chop and place between sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, slightly thicker than 1/8 inch.
- Place a piece of cheese and a pickle slice on one side of each flattened chop. Fold the chop over the filling, closing it like a book. Press the edges firmly together to seal. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed chops, reduce heat to medium and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread the toasted buns with mustard and top each with a pork chop, tomato slice and lettuce.
Nutrition: Per serving: 353 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 612 mg sodium; 522 mg potassium.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American