The other day PartySugar posted a fun recipe for Chop Chop Salad, which reminded me of another recipe with the words "chop chop" in it. This time it's a lovely pork chop brined in a pineapple mixture. The flavorful brine creates an extremely juicy pork chop that pairs fantastically with a pineapple salsa. Make a quick batch of cous cous, garnish with cilantro and you'll have a beautifully plated meal. To discover the recipe for your next runaway hit,
Chop Chop, Pork Chop
From The Other White Meat
4 12-ounce natural (non-marinated) pork loin rib chops, 1 1/2-inches thick
Pineapple Brine (see recipe, below)
1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 4 long pieces*
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 or 2 fresh serrano OR jalapeño chiles, thinly sliced
4 small green onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
6 ounces pineapple juice (3/4 cup)
- For brine, stir together salt, brown sugar and 1 cup water in small saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally, until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in 3 cups cold water and pineapple juice; let cool.
- Place pork in large, resealable bag. Pour brine mixture over pork; close bag to seal. Turn bag to evenly coat pork with brine. Refrigerate for 3 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Remove pork from brine; discard brine. Pat pork chops with paper towels, then brush with olive oil.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in grill. Grill chops, uncovered, over direct heat for 12-16 minutes or until internal temperature of pork reaches 155 degrees F, turning chops over halfway during grilling. At the same time, grill pineapple until slightly golden and caramelized, turning over often. Transfer chops to cutting board. Loosely cover with foil; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for salsa, finely chop pineapple. Place chiles, pineapple, green onions, lime juice, cilantro, maple syrup and salt in medium bowl. Gently toss until mixed. Serve salsa with chops.