When piled high on a plate, a salad of grilled veggies is just as hearty as a slab of steak. Grilling the vegetables is a great way to bring out their full, rich flavor.
This salad is packed with thickly cut zucchini, eggplants, and peppers. A quick lemon vinaigrette adds a tart freshness and a sprinkling of goat cheese adds a lush creaminess. Serve with a cold beer and a chunk of grilled, crusty bread for a delicious dinner. To take a look at the recipe,
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 large onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 small eggplants, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- Two 6-ounce zucchini, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- Two 6-ounce yellow squash, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce (1 1/4 pounds), quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 pound fresh goat cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- Light a grill. In a mortar, pound the halved garlic to a paste with 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and the lemon juice.
- In a small skillet, cook the pine nuts over moderate heat until toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Thread the onion slices onto two parallel 10-inch skewers. Put the eggplant, zucchini and yellow squash slices on 2 large rimmed baking sheets; brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the bell peppers and lettuce with olive oil.
- Grill the vegetables over a medium hot fire, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and just tender. The onions will take about 5 minutes per side; the eggplant, zucchini and squash, about 3 minutes per side; the peppers, about 3 minutes on each of 4 sides; the lettuce wedges, about 1 minute per side.
- Scrape the charred skin from the peppers, discard the stems and seeds and cut into strips.
- Put a lettuce wedge on each plate. Mound the vegetables on the lettuce and sprinkle with the cheese and toasted pine nuts.
- Pass the lemon vinaigrette at the table.
- Vegetables, Salads
- North American