If you'd like to invite your vegetarian friends over for a nice hearty dinner, but are a little wary about what to cook, then I have a solution for you. A big serving of cheese enchiladas is hearty enough to feed a crowd and tasty enough for even the pickiest of eaters. This particular recipe is a Swiss-Mex take on the traditional recipe and uses Swiss cheese instead of Mexican or cheddar. It's delicious enough that your vegetarian pals will be thrilled and your meat loving ones probably won't even realize they're missing anything. To whip this up in time for your Sunday feast,
*To make this meal a vegetarian one, omit the chicken completely and replace with fake chicken strips or navy (white) beans.
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
* 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 2 breasts)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (4.5-ounce) cans diced green chiles, undrained
1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken [if using], garlic, chiles, and tomatoes. Reduce heat, and simmer 7 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Set aside.
- Combine milk and flour in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook 5 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in salt.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture and about 2 1/2 tablespoons cheese down center of each tortilla; roll up. Arrange filled tortillas in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour milk mixture over tortillas, and top evenly with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil casserole for 3 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
6 servings (serving size: 1 enchilada and about 1/3 cup sauce)
CALORIES 419(28% from fat); FAT 13.2g (sat 7.9g,mono 3.7g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 33.2g; CHOLESTEROL 79mg; CALCIUM 474mg; SODIUM 726mg; FIBER 4.3g; IRON 2.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 41.8g