- 4 pounds frozen Bing cherries, thawed (you can also use fresh cherries when in season, and stone them)
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup brandy
1 cup rum
Special equipment: Fine sieve and/or cheesecloth
- Cook cherries in a double boiler until they are very soft.
- Strain the juice (I strained it twice, the first time with a sieve and the second time with some cheesecloth), and measure it. For each quart of juice add 2 cups sugar and 1/4 teaspoon each of ground mace and ground allspice.
- Simmer the mixture, skimming it frequently, until the scum ceases to rise.
- Cool the syrup and measure it. For each quart of syrup add 1 cup each of brandy and rum. Store the cordial in bottles. Serve the cherry bounce as an after-dinner liqueur.
Makes 6 cups.
- Drinks, Cocktails
- North American