Although a fried egg sandwich is a simple dish, it's so delicious that it should be a regular item on your weekly menu. My favorite version of a fried egg sandwich isn't exactly something you would find at a diner. It's an elegant open-faced sandwich that's quick to put together and meant to be eaten with a knife and fork. The recipe is incredibly adaptable: use whatever kind of bread you have on hand. Any hard cheese that's suitable for shaving can stand in for the parmesan. It's meat-free and makes a scrumptious start to a leisurely Saturday, especially when paired with a mimosa! Keep reading for the easy method.
- 2 slices of bread
1 half of an avocado, diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
Mayonnaise, for spreading
Unsalted butter, for spreading
1 small handful of mixed greens (about 1/3 cup)
Parmesan cheese shavings, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. When it's hot, put the bread in the middle of the oven to toast.
- Meanwhile, place the diced avocado in a small bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Mash the avocado to form a thick spread. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Carefully crack the egg into the hot oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook, frying until the white is just set, and the yolk is still runny.
- When the bread is toasted remove from the oven. Spread one piece with the mayonnaise and the other piece with butter.
- Place the toast with mayonnaise on a serving plate and top with the mashed avocado spread. Cover with the mixed greens.
- Slide the fried egg on top of the mixed greens. Set the toast with the butter next to the stacked open faced egg sandwich. Sprinkle with shaved parmesan cheese and enjoy immediately.
- Eggs, Breakfast/Brunch
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.