1 large egg
1 17.3-oz. pkg. prepared puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
2 cups cauliflower florets
2 cups baby zucchini, or 1/2 lb. regular zucchini, halved and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
2 cups baby pattypan squash, or 1/2 lb. regular pattypan squash, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
1 cup baby carrots
12 purple pearl onions, peeled and halved
6 oz. cremini mushrooms, trimmed
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbs. chopped fresh sage
2 Tbs. chopped fresh marjoram
1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Holiday Gravy, recipe below
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- To make Cornucopias: Tear off 8 18-inch-long sheets of heavy-duty foil. Fold each sheet into quarters. Roll each quarter into cone; bend “tail” if desired.
- Beat egg with 1 Tbs. water and pinch of salt in small bowl. Place 1 puff pastry sheet on lightly floured work surface. Refrigerate second sheet until ready to use. Gently pull ends of puff pastry to stretch it out to 10 inches wide. Cut pastry sheet into 20 1/2-inch strips. Loosely wrap 1 strip around pointed end of first foil cone, and spiral strip around cone, overlapping edges as you wrap. When strip runs out, brush end with egg wash, then press on second strip to adhere. Continue wrapping cone with 4 more pastry strips, “gluing” them with egg as you go. Repeat with remaining strips, cones and remaining pastry sheet.
- Place cones on their sides on 1 baking sheet. Brush all over with remaining egg wash. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheet.
- To make Roasted Vegetables: Increase oven heat to 450 degrees F. Toss together all ingredients in large bowl. Spread vegetables on second baking sheet. Roast 30 to 35 minutes, or until vegetables are browned and tender, turning every 10 minutes to make sure they cook evenly. Transfer to large bowl.
- To assemble Cornucopias: Gently pull foil cones away from insides of cooled Cornucopias, and discard. Toss vegetables with 2/3 cup gravy. Spoon into Cornucopias, and serve.
3 Tbs. olive oil
2 medium-sized onions, sliced
2 large carrots, cut into chunks
4 oz. white mushrooms, halved
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup white wine
4 sun-dried tomatoes, quartered
2 sprigs fresh marjoram
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 Tbs. flour
- Heat 2 Tbs. oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover, and cook 1/2 hour, or until soft, stirring occasionally. Uncover pan, increase heat to medium and cook 7 to 10 minutes more, or until vegetables are browned and caramelized.
- Add wine; simmer 2 to 3 minutes, or until 2/3 of liquid is evaporated. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, marjoram, thyme, and 2 1/2 cups water. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Strain into large measuring cup, pressing on vegetables with spoon to release all liquid.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, and cook 5 minutes, or until flour begins to turn golden. Whisk in vegetable liquid. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until gravy thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and serve with filled Cornucopias.
Makes about 2 cups.
- Other, Main Dishes
- North American