When the weather is gorgeous, who wants to waste time in the kitchen? This no-cook recipe is ideal for hot Summer nights because it comes together quickly and is 100 percent portable. It does, however, require a food processor or blender to make the thick artichoke-chickpea hummus-style spread. To create the crunchy slaw, shredded cabbage, carrots, and bell pepper are tossed with a yogurt, lemon juice, and parsley dressing.
Folded into a soft flour tortilla, the two elements make a filling, flavorful vegetarian meal. Check out the recipe and keep reading.
- Artichoke spread
- 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup tahini
- Small handful fresh parsley leaves
- 1 medium clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 to 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- To assemble:
- 1 1/4 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs. plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbs. minced red onion
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 5 (9- to 10-inch) flour tortillas
- Make artichoke spread: In food processor or blender, combine all ingredients and 2 tablespoons water. Process until mixture is almost smooth but retains some texture and is slightly thicker than hummus; if necessary, add more water by teaspoon to thin. Adjust seasonings to taste. Set aside or refrigerate if not using right away.
- In medium bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, yogurt, parsley, onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- In large skillet, warm each tortilla over medium heat just until soft and flexible, about 1 minute per side. Spread some artichoke mixture over each tortilla, leaving 1/2-inch border. Top with cabbage mixture, dividing equally. Fold bottom end of tortilla partially over filling, then roll into a bundle and serve.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches