The next time you're hosting a barbecue and want to include a burger option for vegetarian friends, think outside the bun. Sure, portobello mushrooms are meaty and delicious, but there are plenty of other foods that make perfectly good patties. Your guests will be surprised and delighted by the alternative veggie burgers! Match the toppings to the filling and sandwich between your favorite bread. Ready for my six veggie burger suggestions? Keep reading.
- Black beans. Go Tex-Mex with a patty that consists of smashed black beans, breadcrumbs, and sautéed onions and jalapeño. Serve on buns with fresh tomato salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.
- Garbanzo beans. Fans of falafel will devour a veggie burger that's made from mashed garbanzo beans. Top the herb-infused patty with a crunchy carrot slaw and spicy lemon mayo.
- Grains. When combined with a little cheese, garlic, and herbs, farro, rice, quinoa, and barley all make excellent patties. Cover the burgers with aioli, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, radishes or cucumbers.
- Heirloom tomatoes. A burger inspired by Caprese salad? Yes, please! Grill thick rounds of plump tomatoes, then melt on some mozzarella cheese. Spread pesto on the buns and you've got one tasty veggie burger.
- Eggplant. Grill eggplant slices and top with provolone. Offer on a toasted bun with chunky green olive tapenade and arugula.
- Corn cakes. Pulse corn sliced off the cob in a food processor, then mix with cheese. Form into little cakes and grill. Place on buns that are smothered with crème fraîche. Top the corn cakes with roasted red peppers or pico de gallo.
What's your favorite filling for a veggie burger?
Source: Flickr User SweetOnVeg