If it's hot in your neck of the woods tonight, think Tex Mex and make vegetable quesadillas on the grill. Although the recipe has you roast the veggies in the oven, they would be equally delicious charred on the grill. Have the kids help you grate the cheese and assemble the quesadillas. Vegetarians can enjoy the quesadillas as is, but for those who want to throw in protein, cooked bay shrimp, grilled chicken, or sliced steak are wonderful options. Ready for the easy but tasty recipe? Read on.
- 2 poblano peppers
2 small zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
2 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
1/4 of an onion, sliced into chunks
Olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
8 flour tortillas
1 heaping cup grated pepper Jack cheese
1 cup cooked protein like bay shrimp, grilled chicken, or steak, optional
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Butter, at room temperature for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the poblanos, zucchini, jalapeño, garlic, and onion in a single layer on a large cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 18-20 minutes until the veggies are cooked and just starting to char. Set aside to cool.
- When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, remove and discard the charred skin of the poblanos and jalapeño. Seed the peppers and roughly chop.
- Dice the onion and add them to a large bowl with the peppers and zucchini.
- Press the garlic out of its skin and finely mince. Add to the bowl with the other veggies.
- Add the minced cilantro to the chopped roasted veggies and stir lightly to combine.
- To assemble the quesadilla, place four flour tortillas on a work surface. Top each one with 1/4 cup of the pepper Jack cheese, spreading it evenly over the tortilla.
- Evenly divide the roasted vegetable mixture between the cheese-topped tortillas.
- If using the shrimp or protein, sprinkle 1/4 cup of shrimp onto each veggie-and-cheese-topped tortilla.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of the feta over the top. Season with salt and pepper and cover with the remaining four tortillas.
- Heat a griddle to medium-low. Brush one side of the outside of the quesadilla with butter. Place butter side down on the warm grill. Cook, slowly to ensure that the cheese melts completely, about 7 minutes. Brush the top tortilla with butter and flip. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until the bottom is brown, the inside is heated through, and the cheese is melted. Remove from the grill and let sit for 1 minute. Slice into wedges and enjoy. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas.
- Other, Main Dishes