As much as I love experimenting with new spirits, sometimes I just need a girlie pink vodka cocktail with a fun name. Enter the raspberry shag.
Don't be fooled by the vibrant color. This drink — a mixture of sugared muddled raspberries, vodka, lemon juice, and soda — is not overly sweet. It is smooth, refreshing, and fruity.
The original recipe calls for strawberries, but I decided to try raspberries instead. I think any berry, like blackberries or blueberries, would work well in this concoction, so use what you have on hand. To check out the recipe,
- 1 to 2 large sprigs of fresh basil
- 1/4 cup sugared raspberries, with juice (recipe below)
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 4 ounces chilled soda water
- fresh raspberry, optional for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, press the basil and strawberries together with a muddler to release the basil's flavor.
- Fill the shaker with ice. Measure in the vodka and lemon juice. Cap and shake vigorously.
- Pour into a large glass, top with soda water, and stir. Garnish, if desired, with a raspberry.
Makes 1 drink.
1 pint fresh raspberries
1 1/2cups powdered sugar
Mix the ingredients together in a small bowl and let sit for 15 minutes before using.
- Drinks, Cocktails