Now every couple is going to be different. If you don't drink coffee, there's no need to register for a coffee pot or espresso machine. Also, since so many couples tend to live together before getting married, they've probably already accumulated quite a few great items, so look at what you have, what you need to replace and what you want. To check out the appliances you might want to consider and some tips on what to look for,
- As I mentioned, think about what appliances you want. I know of one girl who registered for a stand mixer, only to give it away (unused!) two years later. She hated baking and knew it before her wedding, but felt she had to register for it anyways.
- Just because you want a Kitchen-Aid mixer, doesn't mean you have to select all Kitchen-Aid products. Research each product individually and register for the one that suits you the best.
- Some appliances come in different colors, be sure to select ones that coordinate with each other, as well as your kitchen scheme. Personally I think chrome and stainless steel never go out of style. However a fun orange mixer might really suit your kitchen well.
- Don't feel obligated to register for a cheaper product, just because it's cheaper. If you want the $400 one, but feel your guests could only justify spending $100, don't feel obligated to register for the cheaper one. Remember, your guests can always go in something as a group, and if no one gets it for you... well, in my opinion, nothing is better than something you didn't really want.
- If you don't have the space - and I know a lot of people (myself included) feel they don't - ask yourself if there is a place you can store it until you move into a larger place. You might be in a tiny apartment now, but how about next year?
- If you have a huge guest list, you may even consider registering for major appliances like washers, dryers, refrigerators, etc.
- Finally, a list of appliances you might want to consider:
- Stand Mixer
- Food Processor
- Hand Mixer
- Waffle Maker
- Slow Cooker
- Espresso Machine
- Coffee Pot
- Rice Cooker
- Kitchen Scale
- Bread Maker
- Ice Cream Maker
Check back tomorrow when I round out my registry tips with the last category: kitchenware (pots & pans, etc.)
Shown: Breville Ikon Toasters