Get excited! Spring is in full effect, and that means markets all across the US are filling up with bright green produce. I can't wait to start cooking with the season's favorites: asparagus and artichokes. Artichokes are at their peak from March until June, so now is the time to enjoy these leafy bulbs. To find out how to select and cook artichokes and to share your favorite artichoke preparations in the comments, keep reading.
At the grocery store, look for artichokes that are firm and heavy with a dark green color and tightly closed leaves. The heavier the choke, the fresher it is. Unless you want to use them in a centerpiece with flowers, avoid blooming artichokes because the leaves will be tough. Store in a vase of water, or wash and place in a plastic bag in the fridge.
Here are some great ways to enjoy artichokes:
- Steam them for an hour, then enjoy with a dipping sauce, like basil mayonnaise.
- Combine them with fresh cracked crab to make a decadent dip.
- Toss them on the grill for a super charred flavor.
- Shave them super thin and make a raw salad with parsley and manchego cheese.
- Stuff them with breadcrumbs, herbs, olives, and onions to create a scrumptious vegetarian entree.
How do you enjoy artichokes? Share your serving suggestions below!