I couldn't find whole blanched almonds, so I subbed in the more commonly available blanched slivered kind. Feel free to do the same.
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds
Whole milk, for soaking
4 slices of white bread, crusts removed, roughly cubed
4 garlic cloves
1-1/4 cups cold water
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to drizzle
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Kosher salt and pepper
Sliced almonds, toasted, to garnish
- Place the blanched almonds in a bowl and cover with milk. Allow to soak refrigerated for at least an hour, up to overnight. Drain the almonds and set aside, reserving the milk. Soak the cubed bread in the reserved milk (adding additional to cover) for 10 minutes.
- Drain the bread, but don't squeeze out the milk. Place the almonds, garlic, and bread in a blender and blend to a smooth paste. With the motor running, drizzle in the water, olive oil, and sherry vinegar and blend until well-incorporated and silky smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chill the soup for at least 1 hour.
- Ladle into bowls and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Other, Soups/Stews