If you are in need of a filling and delicious vegetarian dinner, look no further than this simple, but special, rice and tofu dish. It combines silken tofu strips with crisp tender carrots and bursting tomatoes. A light and acidic sauce of fresh lemon juice and balsamic vinegar coat the veggies and provide a robust flavor. It's served on a bed of wild rice and sprinkled with a shower of parsley.
Think of the recipe as a guide. Feel free to substitute in other vegetables like asparagus or broccolini. Get the uncomplicated recipe now.
- 3 tsp. olive oil, divided
2/3 cup wild rice or wild rice blend
6 oz. extra-firm silken tofu, cut into 2-inch strips
1 cup peeled baby carrots, sliced lengthwise
9 cherry tomatoes, halved (2/3 cup)
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and cook 5 minutes, or until browned, turning once. Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining 2 tsp. oil to skillet, and reduce heat to medium. Add carrots to skillet, and cook 10 minutes, or until softened and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, and fennel seeds, and simmer 2 minutes, or until liquid is thickened and reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in reserved tofu; cook 1 minute, or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve over rice garnished with additional parsley.
- Main Dishes, Tofu
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.