A few of our favorite serving ideas:
- Add the juice of one lemon to the soup just before serving.
- Drizzle a spoonful of yogurt on top of each soup before serving.
- Use this soup recipe as a sauce for your favorite pasta, adding a few toasted pumpkin seeds as garnish.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
3 cups onions, thinly sliced
2 cups celery, thinly sliced
2 cups leeks, thoroughly washed and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons La Boîte Yemen N.10 spice blend
1 tablespoons ginger, freshly grated
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
5 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into a 1/2-inch dice
2-1/2 quarts water or low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, celery, leeks, garlic, apple, and carrots. Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes until tender, stirring every few minutes.
- Add the Yemen spice, ginger, and brown sugar and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and water. Season with salt and pepper, and bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 hour, or until the squash is very soft.
- Add the heavy cream, if using, bring to boil, and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Blend until smooth using a blender or an immersion blender. Season to taste before serving.
- Other, Soups/Stews
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern