A big bowl of pasta is so decadent. Add to that a creamy sauce and the sweet flavor of caramelized onions and you have a dish that's beyond basic. The addition of Greek yogurt offers a touch of tang and wonderfully delicious results.
- 1 lb pasta
1 red onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
Additional shaved Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Toss the red onions in a hot pan with the vegetable oil and salt. Caramelize while the pasta is boiling.
- In a small sauce pan, add the garlic and butter and cook over medium heat until the garlic just starts to brown, which only takes a minute or two. Add the flour and whisk together, stirring for another minute.
- Slowly add the chicken stock while mixing and then the milk, stirring until the flour dissolves. The sauce will thicken as it slowly comes to a simmer.
- Remove the sauce once it starts boiling and let rest while straining the pasta.
- Add the Greek yogurt to the sauce along with the shredded Parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese has melted. Pour over the pasta and toss.
- Serve topped with the caramelized red onions and additional Parmesan cheese.
- Pasta/Noodle, Side Dishes
- North American