- 4 small zucchini (1 lb. total)
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 cup pine nuts (1 oz.)
1 (6-oz.) piece grana padano or parmigiano-reggiano
Garnish: thinly sliced tips of 2 zucchini blossoms, several fresh mint sprigs, or edible flowers
Special equipment: mandoline or adjustable-blade slicer
- Cut zucchini diagonally into paper-thin slices with slicer. Arrange slices, overlapping slightly, in 1 layer on 4 plates.
- Make stacks of mint leaves and cut crosswise into very thin slivers, then sprinkle over zucchini.
- Whisk together oil and lemon juice in a small bowl, then drizzle over zucchini. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper to taste, and pine nuts. Let stand 10 minutes to soften zucchini and allow flavors to develop.
- Just before serving, use a vegetable peeler to shave cheese to taste over zucchini, then sprinkle with zucchini blossoms and mint.
Makes 4 first-course servings.
- Vegetables, Appetizers