You recently posted a story about hanging curtains. All of my curtains have been hanging happily for a while now, but they get a lot of cat hair on them! Taking them down is a pain because the curtain rod has a little screw to keep it from moving around. I live alone, so using the vacuum was scary and I thought I might pull them down. Do you have any suggestions?
To hear my suggestions for Scissorz,
Good questions! I'm assuming shaving your cat (kidding!) is out of the question, so I have a few other suggestions for you.
- First of all, you might consider replacing your curtain rods with some that don't screw in. Check out Shopstyle for a range of choices.
- If your vacuum has a long wand with a brush at the end, you should be able to safely vacuum your curtains hanging.
- You can also just use a lint brush or a fur fighter to remove your pet hair directly from the curtains.
- I'd also recommend purchasing curtains or shades with button tabs like the PB Solutions Button-Up Shade ($48), which you can just unbutton to remove without having to unscrew your curtain rod.
- If you're partial to the curtains you own, you can just have a seamstress add button tabs to them, or do it yourself if you know how to sew.
- You can also unstitch the foldover part of your curtains, and iron on velcro where the curtains were stitched together. So, instead of running the curtain through the rod, you just keep it wrapped around the rod with the velcro. Then, you can easily pull them off when you vacuum them.
Hope that helps!