Sarah Richardson, host of HGTV's Sarah's House, takes her holiday decorating and entertaining seriously. In fact, she holds a holiday party each year for a few hundred friends at her house. That makes my under-100-guests annual holiday party look pretty mellow in comparison!
To see how she prepares for such a huge gathering, tune into HGTV on Dec. 11 at 4 p.m. EST for the broadcast of Sarah’s Holiday Party, an hour-long special highlighting the week-long preparations for Sarah's holiday shindig.
Sarah also offered to share some of her holiday tips with us, which highlight her eco and thrifty smarts. Keep reading for ideas on upcycling objects around your house, tips to remember when gift giving, and much more!
- "Wrap gifts in pretty, reusable bags instead of store-bought wrapping paper. Add a pretty ribbon, and you can be sure both ribbon and wrap will be reused again and again. I often use remnants from design projects to make beautiful patterned bags that add decorative pop to the tree."
- "Make your own holiday crackers by tying a small toy or treat up in a napkin and turn it into a place setting."
- "Avoid using disposable dishes and glasses when entertaining. Pull out all your china and glassware and create an eclectic look, or borrow pieces from a friend. If you have a set of china, you’d be amazed how many little plates you have that are just perfect for a cocktail party!"
- "Less is more. Buy fewer gifts for each person, but make sure they are good quality and will become keepsakes instead of temporary amusement."
- "Save the boxes when you purchase new decorations and pack the ornaments away in their original boxes when you dismantle the tree. You’ll have fewer broken ornaments each year and less recycling! "
- "Save all the pretty ribbons that come off your packages. Give them a quick iron, store them in a shoebox, and you’ll always have a length of decorative ribbon when you need it to make a gift look great!"
- "Put all your holiday lights on timers and make sure to only run them after it’s dark and before you head to bed!"
Keep reading for more of Sarah's tips, as well as a peek at her holiday party.
Take a peek at Sarah's party below!