Here's a post from Colleen Reilly, one-half of Thursdays and bride-to-be. Colleen is graciously sharing three DIYs from her upcoming nuptials with CasaSugar readers. Last week she shared her DIYs for creating corsages and boutonnieres. Today, she's back with her advice on creating your own wedding invitations.
Somehow time has completely flown and in just two months, my fiancé and I will be getting married on a (presumably) steamy August day on the back patio of a state park lodge in Indiana. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t feeling pretty excited about the party with our family and friends that will follow.
Saving Serious Cash by DIYing Invitations: These invitations were a one month-long labor of love. But even after screwing up two packets of vellum (one got rain-soaked when we left the window open during a thunderstorm, the next group had a glaring typo that we didn’t notice until 75 invites had been fully assembled — ugh), our invites still cost hundreds less than if we had had them designed and printed professionally. Hundreds.
Granted, you have to have the time and patience. But we’ve gotten so many compliments on our invites and people can’t believe that we made them ourselves, so I think it’s worth it.
What We Purchased: We purchased several packages of printable invites from Target. These were on clearance for about $20 and included everything we needed—card stock, envelopes, RSVP cards and RSVP envelopes. We discarded the overlay they included, because we didn’t like it and purchased a package (eventually three packages) of clear printable vellum, which runs about $10-15 for 50 sheets — cut in half, that’s enough for 100 invites. We also purchased jute at $3 a bundle, which is far more jute than you’ll ever need. Keep reading to learn how Colleen made the invites!
What We Did: We figured out the wording and design of the invite and got it to line up perfectly, so that two invites would fit on each piece of vellum (honestly, all of this is what took the greatest amount of time.) We cut down each piece of vellum with a paper cutter, so that it was the exact size as the card stock.
Working in chunks of 25 invites at a time, we gathered leaves from our backyard (we found that maple and ash leaves worked the best). In our basement we spray painted 25 leaves silver and 25 leaves gold. After a few minutes, when the leaves were completely dry, the backs of the leaves were sprayed with glue adhesive spray and arranged on the front of the card stock — one gold leaf and one silver leaf on each. We then let the cards dry overnight, if not longer.
Next, for each invite, we laid the vellum over the card stock and measured where holes should be punched, then punched holes through the vellum and card stock. The invites were then tied together with jute — some invites have bows, some are tied with knots, some are tied with both. We wanted them to all look different. After a couple of Thursday night dinners with my girlfriends, all the invites were tied and ready to go (something we learned: Kate is the only one of us that can tie bows that look like they weren’t done by a 3-year-old.) Then we printed the RSVP cards, put everything in the envelopes, and they were good to go! We tried to send them out ASAP, because I wasn’t sure how well the spray-painted leaves would hold up. Most people’s still look pretty good a month later.