Considering that it is Home Entertainment month and the holiday parties are nonstop, I thought it fitting to arm you with some tips for rearranging your furniture, in case you are throwing a party.
- If your party is on the weekend, decorate and rearrange your home during the week before the party. That way you'll get it out of the way, leaving you time to deal with cooking, shopping, etc. This will also leave you time to make changes, in case you notice that something is off.
- Clean the house first, and put all of your knick-knacks away. That means anything on tables or sitting on the floor, unless it's an essential like a lamp.
- Count the number of affirmative R.S.V.P.s, and then add about five crashers onto that number. Now, walk around the main party room and try to imagine all of those guests in it.
- If necessary, add chairs to accommodate more people, or add two side chairs in place of a larger arm chair. Stash fold-out chairs in a nearby closet, for emergency seating.
- Make sure there are enough side, buffet, or console tables to accommodate glasses, hors d'oeuvre plates, and other odds and ends (cameras, purses, etc.). If you have overhead lighting (that can be dimmed), you can completely remove any lamps you have in the room to make for more table space.