While pumpkin carving and spiderwebs are fun, you may want something a little more mature for your All Hallows' Eve-theme shindig. For a more sophisticated ambiance, create a séance room without the usual suspects (velvet tablecloth, piles of old books) and blow your guests and ghosts away with your unique style. Not only will it make a great appetizer and gathering room, but calling forth the spirits will help break the pre-party ice.
Let the Table Shine
- Instead of the clichéd red velvet tablecloth, opt for a fabric that is just as rich but more refined, like silk or lace. Also, don't feel like you have to stick to a dark color palette. Although the Horchow 90" Round Cloth ($120) is polyester, the champagne hue adds a luxe antique feeling perfect for calling the most stylish of spirits. Plus, it'll pop in a dimly lit room.
- Place some séance tools of the trade for your guests to ghoulishly delight in, like tarot or regular playing cards or a Ouija board.
- Leave the table empty except for the séance games and a few votives. You never know when a temperamental spirit (or intoxicated guest) might disrupt the table.
For more spooktacular tips,
Blanket the Room With Accents
- Candles, candles, candles! They're not only inexpensive, but they exude mystery and romance scattered throughout a room at different levels.
- Round up all the frames in your home and place them all over the room. The older the photo the better! There's nothing scarier than having smiling faces staring back at you.
- Place branches, flowers like dark-hued calla lilies, black dahlias, or Dried Black Sola Flower Filler ($10, originally $17) into vases and disperse them throughout the room with the candles.
Lighting Sets the Mood
- Like most events, lighting is an important factor, but, unfortunately, it is often overlooked. If you have a small chandelier laying around or are willing to make a quick stop by Target for a relatively inexpensive 3-Bulb Mini Chandelier ($60), hang it above the table. I like this practical yet modern Chrome 3-light Black Shade Crystal Chandelier ($115); it has the sharp lines to complement your chic room and the hanging crystals to move and sway when a mysterious gust of wind blows by.
- Now light those candles, dim the lights, and voilà — you should have a chic and party-friendly take on the séance room!
Photo courtesy of The CW