I have a huge weakness for sweets. I love everything from chocolate to hard candy, so when it comes to choosing a favorite it can be incredibly difficult. However, when it comes to the baked goods variety these brown butter blondies take the cake.
The browned butter creates a soft nutty flavor that is like no other. I'm telling you, if you haven't tried these before, I highly suggest you drop whatever you are doing and gather up the ingredients for these tasty baked squares.
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cupspacked light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; butter and flour parchment paper.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the butter until it turns golden brown; remove from heat, and let cool. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine browned butter and both sugars; stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Attach bowl to mixer; add eggs. Using the paddle attachment, beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla, and beat to combine. Add flour mixture, mix until thoroughly combined, and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes (do not overbake). Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before turning out of pan onto a cutting board. Peel off parchment paper; cut blondies into 3-inch squares or into suit shapes with 1 1/2- to 2-inch cookie cutters. Just before serving, dust half with confectioners sugar, if desired.
- Desserts, Pastries
- 24 servings
- Cook Time
- 40 minutes