It's not a proper brunch without a Healthy Huevos Rancheros at the table amongst the regulars, like avocado toast and green juice.
(n.) — a Latin American dish of eggs, fried or poached, topped with a spicy tomato sauce and served on a fried corn tortilla with veggies and cheese.
The typical huevos rancheros can be greasy, cheesy, and fried, but I'm keeping it clean with this version. I've used a whole wheat sprouted tortilla, sunny side up egg, and increased the veggies and beans instead of adding cheese. This breakfast is sure to keep you full and pack a bunch of nutrition in one mini skillet.
- Eggs keep you full with 6 grams of protein per egg and enough nutrition to get you going for the day.
- Pinto beans aid in digestion with over 15 grams of fiber per cup.
- Avocados help your body absorb nutrients faster with its unsaturated fatty content.
Aside from all of those benefits, I've yet to mention how incredibly amazing a runny yolk tastes combined with beans, avocado, tomato, and sautéed onions.
WHERE IS MY FORK?! Now it's your turn to make it.
Huevos rancheros is a Latin American dish of eggs, usually fried or poached, topped with a spicy tomato sauce and sometimes served on a fried corn tortilla with the addition of vegetables and cheese. This is a healthy version of the classic dish. Double this recipe for another serving.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 sprouted whole grain tortilla
¼ onion, chopped
1 tomato, diced
½ cup pinto beans, can be canned
¼ avocado, sliced
1 lime, squeezed
Handful cilantro to garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
- If using tortillas, lightly brush a pan with olive oil and heat both sides of the tortilla. Place it in your desired serving skillet or in a bowl and set aside.
- In a pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and beans and simmer on medium-low for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to the tortilla skillet or bowl and use the pan to fry an egg. If you're making multiple servings, then feel free to fry more than one egg. Over medium-high heat, crack the egg open and cover the pan. Allow it to sit until the whites have set, but the yolk is still runny. Slide it over the tortilla and beans.
- Serve with sliced avocado and lime, garnish with cilantro, and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- Eggs, Breakfast/Brunch
- South American
- 1 serving