Limit the time spent in front of the stove with this simple, easy, juicy, flavorful, and perfectly tender Slow Cooker Shredded Beef.
I have a real obsession with Cuban food. One of my favorite Cuban dishes is their Ropa Vieja. This recipe is a similar version made more in the style of the Dominican "carne ripiada" or shredded meat.
Both carne ripiada and ropa vieja consist of a piece of beef, such as flank steak, cooked over low heat for a very long time until very tender to then be shredded.
In an attempt to make it easier for myself and avoid the time spent in front of the stove looking over a pot, I decided to cook the meat in the slow cooker, which gave me extra time throughout the day for other things. I cleaned the house, did laundry, and even had a little extra time to play basketball on the driveway with my son.
I must say, I still got game! JJ couldn't understand what hit him. My children had no idea that, as a youngster, I was a big sports lover. I grew up playing volleyball, basketball, and baseball in the streets of my lovely Dominican Republic, among all my cousins and friends. Sharing that part of me with my kids made me truly happy, especially when seeing the surprise and happiness on their faces every time I made a basket.
Recipes that don't require me being in the kitchen for hours and allow me the time to share special moments with my family are my favorite. This Slow Cooker Shredded Beef is simple, easy, juicy, and very flavorful. Perfect any day of the week.
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 teaspoon of salt, more if needed
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons sofrito
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onions, chopped
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- Season the meat with salt, pepper, oregano, and sofrito.
- In a cast iron pot, heat half the oil at medium-high heat and sear the meat just until golden brown.
- Place in a slow cooker. Add the garlic and enough water just to cover the meat. Cook on low for about 8 hours or high for 4 hours and 30 minutes.
- Using two forks, shred the meat.
- In a large pan, heat the remaining oil and saute bell pepper, onion, and tomato sauce until onion begins to look transparent.
- Add the meat and about 1 cup of the liquid it cooked in. Simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced. Taste and add extra salt if needed.
- Serve warm over rice and beans.
- Main Dishes, Beef
- South American
- 6-8 servings
- Cook Time
- 8 hours