16 Gina Rodriguez Quotes That Will Inspire You to Follow Your Dreams
The minute Gina Rodriguez, star of Jane the Virgin, finished that 2015 Golden Globes speech after winning the statue for best actress in a comedy series, she was named the "next big thing" in Hollywood. The Puerto Rican beauty is talented, beautiful, and so funny, but what captured our hearts was her shining smile, infectious charm, and delightful attitude, not to mention incredible self-awareness.
She often credits her parents and intense work ethic for making her childhood dreams come true and often gives advice to fans on how to do it too. She is not shy when it comes to discussing her upbringing and the industry's portrayal of Latinos on TV and in movies, saying in an interview with Cosmopolitan, "acting is how I'll be able to change how Latinos are viewed in media and change how little girls see and talk about themselves." But it doesn't end there — Gina is a fountain of inspiring words. Keep reading to get just a few empowering quotes that will make you love her even more, then find out what she said was the best advice she ever got.
On Being a Proud Latina
- "I am always Latina. It’s a part of me, just like being a woman is, too."
- "The industry’s had this constant notion that Latinos have a different story, when there’s nothing about me that’s different."
- "My community stays with me. My culture, my people, my 54 million plus people stays with me wherever I go. That will never change."
- "We are powerful, and we are passionate, and we are smart, and we are independent, so know that!"
On Her Impact in Hollywood
- "I am not going to take a role because there's money. It might extend my checkbook but not my integrity."
- "Acting is how I’ll be able to change how Latinos are viewed in media and change how little girls see and talk about themselves."
- "I use my voice to make people feel like they belong."
- "There's no better way to tell others that they can win but by living your dreams."
On Being Your Best Self
- "Hard work and dedication and perseverance and being good to people does win. It does matter. Cream does rise to the top."
- "Honesty is very much a freeing place to live in. I’ve always been honest with my past, who I am, who I desire to be, with my flaws, with my fears."
- "Get an education. The one thing that nobody can take away from you is your education."
- "My father used to tell me to wake up each day and say ‘Today is going to be a great day; I can and I will.' Well, Dad, today’s a great day; I can and I did."
On Beauty Ideals
- "Beauty is much grander than the definition we give it."
- "When people post pictures of me on social media looking crazy, in midspeech, I can still see beauty in those pictures. I’m real and I’m not put-together all the time."
- "I want to liberate girls to say, 'I don't have to be a perfect size 0. I can be a perfect size me.'"
- "My sexiness lies in my strength and my power and my ability to see the beauty that I have."