Hearing other people's engagement stories is sure to get some of you excited for your own engagement, but if you're waiting for your man to get down on bended knee, it's important to be sure that you're both ready to take that next step in your relationship. So before taking the plunge, be sure to check out my dos and don'ts of getting engaged.
- Do be sure you're getting engaged for the right reasons, not just because you feel like it should be the next step in your relationship.
- Do be sure you're on the same page in your relationship and that you're truly in love.
- Do be sure you're in agreement about kids, money, how to fight, family, religious beliefs, education, in-laws, etc.
- Do be sure you're emotionally and physically satisfied in your relationship.
- Don't pressure him to propose if he's not ready. A premature engagement could lead to trouble down the road.
- Don't get engaged if you're not financially stable — weddings and everything that comes along with them are expensive.
- Don't think an engagement will fix your relationships problems; be sure to talk through all your issues first.
- Don't rush down the aisle if you still have some things to work through. Sometimes a long engagement is best.
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.