Just like your wedding, it is imperative to make a budget when planning for your honeymoon. According to TheKnot.com, today's average honeymoon costs anywhere between $2,000 and $5,000 but can be as high as $10,000 depending on how extravagant you choose to travel and the length of your honeymoon. I am here to offer some helpful tips on how to get the best bang for your buck.
Click here to
- If you can, plan your honeymoon as far out as possible. Purchasing airplane tickets with advance notice is the best way to save money
- Popular honeymoon destinations such as Hawaii, Bora Bora, Tahiti, etc. have peak seasons, so if you are on a tight budget, avoid the busy season
- If you choose to travel abroad, make sure you check the dollar against the local currency before you book your travel plans
- Be sure to talk about the activities you want to partake in before you leave for your honeymoon. If you want to snorkel, surf, or wind sail, take the cost of recreational sports into consideration when planning your budget
- Restaurants in resorts can be very expensive, and while room service is convenient, I advise you to research local cafes and restaurants wherever your destination may be to save money and quite possibly, eat better food!
- While the room is the most important part of the hotel to some newlyweds, weather is more crucial to others. Determine what is most important to you and choose your destination accordingly
- Look into booking your honeymoon with a travel agent. Not only do they have insider deals, but they can alleviate an element of stress during your wedding planning
- If you choose to plan your honeymoon yourself, be sure to mention to every customer service agent you speak to that this trip will be your honeymoon. Many providers offer a discounted rate or free upgrades for newlyweds
- Recently, couples have opted to register for their honeymoon -- from plane tickets to hotel rooms, so that could be an option for you if you are on a tight budget
Your honeymoon should be as relaxing as possible, so make sure to get your budget squared away long before you get ready to pack your bags. Have fun and congratulations!