Leaving the stigma of the past (and sometimes present) behind, more Americans are getting hitched to people of different races according to US Census figures released yesterday. The Census amasses a treasure trove of intriguing statistics so here are the numbers about race and marriage that caught my eye.
- 8 percent of US marriages are interracial.
- Between 1999-2000 the rate of interracial marriage jumped by 65 percent. Between 2000-2010 it only jumped 20 percent.
- However, blacks are three times more likely to marry whites compared to 10 years ago, thanks to factors including a growing black middle class and an integrated military.
- Hawaii has the highest rate of mixed marriages
- Thanks to interracial marriage, the number of multiracial Americans is on the rise and will represent half the population by 2050.
Do any of these numbers surprise you?
Source: Flickr User douglemoine