7 Things to Know About the Newly Crowned Miss Universe Olivia Culpo
Miss USA Olivia Culpo, 20, was crowned queen of the universe last night. After dominating the medal count at the London Olympics, America triumphed over the countries of the world in another international competition: the Miss Universe beauty pageant. Olivia gave her best surprised Taylor Swift impression as she beat out Miss Philippines and Miss Venezuela. Get to know the new Miss Universe now.
- She's the first American to win in 15 years. Miss USA hasn't won since 1997, and Olivia became the eighth American woman to ever win.
- She grew up in Rhode Island. Olivia won the Miss Rhode Island competition wearing a $20 dress from Rent the Runway that had a hole in it.
- She plays the cello. Olivia, the daughter of professional musicians, calls herself a "cellist nerd," and has played at Carnegie Hall and with Yo-Yo Ma.
- She attends Boston University. Olivia is currently a sophomore there, but she might have to put her education on hold to fulfill her duties to the universe.
- She got a pretty soft-ball question. Olivia was asked if she ever did something she regretted, and her strategically innocuous answer proved that she'd probably make a good politician. She said, "I'd like to start off by saying that every experience, no matter what it is, good or bad, you'll learn from it. That's just life. But something I've done I've regretted is probably picking on my siblings growing up, because you appreciate them so much more as you grow older."
- She's on Twitter. You can follow Olivia @MissUSA if you want to follow a day in the life of a beauty queen that involves pranking hotel guests in bikinis and lots of travel updates.
- She gets to enjoy lots of prizes. As the reigning Miss Universe, Olivia now gets a high-fashion wardrobe, a salary, and an NYC apartment.
See photos of Olivia Culpo's big win last night.