Work can totally stress a person out because of a whole combination of things - deadlines, annoying distractions, noise, skipped or unhealthy meals, orders from the boss, time constraints, and the commute.
Here are some tips to help your work day run a little more smoothly:
- Organize your workspace - Sometimes de-cluttering your desk is a way to de-clutter your mind. Make sure all your stuff has a special "home" on your desk. Pick up some cute storage containers to put things in. It won't take long to tidy up your space, and it can make a world of difference. Plus knowing where everything is will save you time.
- Organize your day - Make a to-do list of all the things you want to get done and how long you think each task will take -- I guarantee this list will help you feel less overwhelmed.
- Jot down ideas - It's important to start a project and finish it, so if you get another idea for something else while working on a project, write it in a notebook or on a post-it note so you don't lose your train of thought.
To hear more helpful hints,
- Listen to relaxing music - Calming tunes can ease your mood and make you happy, which will make you more productive at work. When you're more productive, you get your work done and feel less stressed. Headphones in your ears can also tune out annoying distractions like chatty co-workers and other office noise.
- Make sure you eat! - Forgetting to eat breakfast or lunch is just going to put you in a cranky and irritable mood. Plus you won't have the energy or brain power to get your work done. Plan ahead and pack yourself a lunch so it'll be ready for you the next day. Also keep a stock of healthy snacks at work just in case you need a little pick-me-up. Keeping healthy options near by will prevent the temptation to reach for a Snickers bar out of the vending machine.
- Don't take on TOO much - If your boss asks you to take on another project and you're already bogged down with an avalanche of work, don't try to be Super Woman. Doing a normal amount of work brilliantly will impress your boss more than doing a ton of mediocre work.
- Take a break - Make sure that at least once during your day you take some time for yourself. You don't have to eat lunch during that time (since you most likely eat at your desk anyway), but you can make a phone call to a friend, take a walk, do an errand, grab a cup of tea, read in the break room, do some online shopping - whatever will stop you from working for at least 20-30 minutes.
Got any other suggestions? Share your ideas below.