Skip Nav
Parenting
How 1 Mom Suddenly Knew She Was Done Having Kids
Food and Activities
It's Party Time! 57 Creative First Birthday Party Ideas
Parenting
This Mother's Reaction to Her Son's Fit of Anger Can Teach Us All a Lesson in Parenting

12-Year-Old Dies of Septic Shock from A Minor Cut

12-Year-Old Dies of Septic Shock from A Minor Cut

We've bandaged our kids' minor cuts and scrapes dozens of times, so Rory Satunton's story is one that really got our attention. The 12-year-old New Yorker cut his arm playing basketball at school in late March, and died just days later — from septic shock brought on by bacteria that entered his body through the cut.

Satunton went to his pediatrian the day after he cut himself, complaining of pain in his leg, vomiting and a fever. He was sent to the emergency room at NYU Langone Medical Center. Unaware that an infection was contaminating his whole system, doctors believed he was simply dehydrated and sent him home with the advice to take Tylenol and drink fluids.

Read the full story (The New York Times).

What precautions do you take when dealing with your kids' cuts and scrapes?

Image Source: The New York Times

Join The Conversation
Easy Ways to Potty Train Boys
Children's Books About Dads
When Can Kids Ride in Front Seat of Car?
Downside to "Cry It Out" Sleep Training
From Our Partners
Latest Moms
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds