Skip Nav
Mom's Reaction to Meltdown at Target
Toddlers
1 Mom Had the Best Reaction to Witnessing a "Meltdown of Epic Proportions" at Target
Halloween
Target Was Holding Out on Us — We Found Even More Halloween Decor, and It's All Less Than $25
Ellen DeGeneres
Move Over, Oprah! Ellen DeGeneres Has Her Own List of 15 Favorite Things For Fall
Halloween
Oh My Bones! Yankee Candle's Halloween Decor Is Almost Better Than the Candles
Halloween
Dollar Tree Is the Place to Do Your Halloween Shopping — 11 of Our Favorite Finds

Baby's Finger Stuck in Jingle Bell Warning

Mom Shares Warning After Her Baby Almost Lost a Finger by a Common Christmas Decoration

Lisa Jackson is a pretty cautious parent, but even she discovered how the holidays can lead to some surprising dangers for small children when her 14-month-old daughter was playing with a green jingle bell.

After little Andi, the youngest of four girls, showed up with the jingle bell on her finger, "We all laughed for a second, because she is the mischievous one," Lisa told NBC News.

But she soon realized this was no laughing matter: the bell wouldn't budge and was firmly locked around their daughter's index finger. They tried baby oil, but it wouldn't slide off.

ADVERTISEMENT

When the finger began bleeding, they rushed to a local emergency room. There, the doctor said something shocking.

"She said, 'I'm not touching this. I've never seen anything like this,'" Lisa recalled.

They ended up taking Andi to St. Louis Children's Hospital, where their screaming baby wouldn't be calmed, even with local anesthesia. Doctors were concerned they'd have to amputate the little girl's finger.

Emergencies like this one might seems like one in a million, but doctors at Children's Hospital said they see all sorts of injuries around the holidays.

"Small items in gifts or ornaments, things that go on the outside of a package that a child can pull at, that can always be a problem," Dr. Brad Warner told NBC News. Some of the most common holiday injuries among children include swallowed toy batteries and magnets, but there are dangers all over a decorated home. In fact, just this holiday season, a mom sent a Facebook post warning against weighted stocking holders after one fell down on her son, causing him to lose an eye.

Thankfully for Andi, doctors were able to use "high-tech needle nose pliers" to remove the bell and save her finger.

It's a reminder to Lisa just how vigilant parents need to be around the holidays: "We consider ourselves pretty safe. We have our gates up, we babyproof everything and . . . it's a jingle bell. It's decorative, it's cute, it makes a sound. We didn't think anything of it."

Image Source: Flickr user PepOmint
From Our Partners
Cheap Sephora Gifts
Perfect Gifts For Mom Under $50
Good Christmas Gifts For 12-Year-Olds
Sugar Cookie Toast Crunch Cereal Return 2018
Reese Witherspoon Whiskey in a Teacup Baked Brie Recipe
Perfect Gifts For Wife 2018
Best Christmas Tree Shops Holiday Decorations
Disney Animators' Collection Littles Advent Calendar
Best Advent Calendars For Kids 2018
Baby's First Christmas Gifts 2018
I'm Never Going to Tell My Kids That Santa Isn't Real
Why You Should Holiday Shop All Year Long
From Our Partners
Latest Moms
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds