Not only does Emma Bozner know how lucky she is that her son is still alive, but she is also hoping that social media will keep another parent from enduring the same ordeal.
Her 3-year-old son, Brooklyn, was playing with his favorite toy — he typically bounced his Paw Patrol slinky around and found great amusement from stretching it. But in less than a minute, he had wrapped the slinky around his neck three times — to the point that he was struggling to breathe.
"It was so tight around his neck I couldn't get a big enough gap to fit scissors through and cut it off," Emma shared in a Facebook post. After pulling the toy that she once considered harmless from the back and choking him even more in the process, she managed to cut part of it. However, the metal wire inside was even harder to break through than the plastic coating.
"Each second that passed was a second closer to losing Brooklyn, but luckily I managed to get it cut and off his neck, leaving his neck all cut and very sore," Emma described. "I know slinkys have been [around] for years but any mommies and daddies on here, could you please ensure that you don't leave your child alone playing with a slinky?"
Even though Emma still has a healthy son, she wants everyone to share her experience so that it will raise awareness about just how dangerous this old-fashioned toy can actually be — especially in the hands of an adventurous toddler!