In honor of Mother's Day, we asked readers to share how they revealed their baby news to their own mother or mother figure. The stories were charming, inventive, and aww-inducing. If you're looking to dish up a big announcement this weekend — or just need a reason to smile — here's some sweet inspiration:
- I found out on New Year's day (1-1-11) and since I'm a nerd for number sequences I sent my parents a picture frame on 1-11-11 that said "Grandkids" and included a photo of the digital tests and another of them dancing in the aisle on my wedding day. My dad texted me when he got it because he was too choked up to speak! — Graze With Me
- I made my parents a video of photos from a recent vacation and revealed the surprise at the end. They had to watch it again to really get it. So fun! — KWM
- My due date with my first tot was right around my mom's birthday. I called them and asked them what they had planned for my mom's big day, to which they responded nothing (it was 7 months away). I asked them if they wanted to become grandparents that day and was met with total silence and then tears! — Rebecca M Gruber
Keep reading for more sweet tales.
- My family had been waiting ever-so-patiently (7 years!) for my husband and I to start a family. To tell them, we waited until our entire family was together, then told them we wanted to take a group photo. When everyone was lined up my husband (who was taking the picture) said "Smile and say 'Jesi's pregnant!'" — the snapshot is absolutely priceless! — Anonymous
- I told my mom on her birthday. When she answered the phone I sang, "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear grandma-to-beeeee, happy birthday to you." It was met with total silence, then tears! — Anonymous
- My husband is a graphic designer and I handed my mom a magazine and told her to check out his illustration on page 78, where I inserted a photo of the ultrasound instead. She was a bit confused at his new design style for a moment. — Anonymous