- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree*
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup light vanilla soy milk or nonfat (skim) milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided for garnish
- 6 teaspoons chopped walnuts or almonds, divided for garnish
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa in cold water and strain. Add the quinoa to the boiling water and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 12 minutes, uncovered. Remove the pot from the heat, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a separate pot, melt the margarine. Stir in the sweet potato puree, 1 tablespoon of the maple syrup, soy milk, cinnamon and salt. When the quinoa has finished cooking, stir in the sweet potato mixture. Divide into bowls and top with a teaspoon each of maple syrup and nuts.
- *For sweet potato puree: Prep —Do not peel. Cut into quarters if steaming. Leave whole if roasting. Cook — Steam for 40 to 45 minutes; or roast in a 400 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Puree — Scoop out the flesh and puree in a food processor or blender.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Granola