Skip Nav
Parenting
3-Year-Olds Are Kinda the Worst and Here's Why
Nostalgia
These Are the 15 Movies From the '90s That You Need to Watch With Your Kids
Parenting
8 Things You Need to Know About Millennial Moms

Kids Burning Their Eyes From Laundry Pods

Mom's Urgent Warning After Her Toddler Severely Burned His Eyes Needs to Be Heard

For Jemima Strain, it's not enough for parents to be aware that laundry detergent pods can be dangerous. She wants every mom and dad to see the damage they can do in just an instant.

This mom from England was doing laundry when a simple accident left her toddler in extreme pain. Now she's hoping to spread the word to every adult, even if they already think they know better. "My little human picked one up, as he always helps to do the washing, and it popped," she shared on Facebook. "On arriving at [the hospital], we spent over an hour and a half with a full team of nurses who had to hold him down and force his eyes open while trying to neutralize the liquid with a liter and a half of saline fluid to wash out his eyes. He was traumatized, as was I."

Specialists informed the family that the toddler had chemical burns to his eyes and that if they hadn't washed his eyes out as quickly as they did, he would have suffered further damage. They also mentioned that other kids have had their corneas burned off from similar accidents, which left this mom both terrified and frustrated.

PLEASE LET EVERYONE YOU KNOW HEAR OF THIS.

And share it as a warning. Even my baby wipes say on them "Keep out of reach of children." And we've all let our babies hold the pack while we change their nappies. I thought we were doing great parenting letting our children help with the washing.

It's an awful advertising gimmick making them look like fun squiggy pouches. Even I've been tempted to give it a squish . . . multi-sensory is all the rage for a reason. But the manufacturers need to look at child-proofing the boxes. And take this much more seriously.

Please don't let your children help with the washing. These tablets are as bad bleach and can be life threatening if swallowed. We were fortunate . . . we acted fast and he was only blind for three days and with drops started to open his eyes and now has full site back.

PLEASE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Join The Conversation
Gym Laundry Memes
Mom's Open Letter to Parents Of Her Child's Organ Donor
What to Pack in Hospital Bag to Relax
How to Wash Workout Clothes
From Our Partners
Latest Moms
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds