Sydney popped the question at the park on last night's episode of Parenthood. Joel and Julia fumbled for an answer when the child inquired about her origins, asking if she "came from a vagina." The couple uncomfortably confirmed that they all came from vaginas, but their daughter's probe continued. Kids often initiate the birds and the bees conversation well before their parents anticipate it. To ensure that you aren't caught off guard when your youngster broaches the subject, here are a few tips for keeping the impromptu and G-rated conversation as low-key and comfortable as possible.
- Don't freak out. Your reaction sets the tone for future conversations.
- Ask your tot what she knows and where she got her information. Then go from there. There's no need to break out charts and graphs for a 3-year-old.
- Tell her an age-appropriate version of the truth.
- Don't scare your kids by getting overly serious. Relax!
- Encourage her to come to you in the future as she has further questions and/or thoughts.
Chime in with your own tips in the comments section!