I dare a mom to drop her child off at preschool on the first day and not shed a tear. It is a momentous occasion for the whole family because you'll likely be paying tuition or talking education until the kiddo graduates from college! Prepare the wee one for the big day by easing him into the scene with confidence and security so he will be enthused. Parents can do a few simple things to make the transition smooth.
- Tots who will be entering a "drop off" type environment for the first time may benefit from weekly extracurricular activities like an art or music class where they can get used to a teacher, other students, and a set schedule.
- Trips to the local park can also help them acclimate to sharing toys and play structures with other wee ones.
- Set up fair expectations. Tell the child what he can expect to happen at school so he won't be disappointed with the outcome.
- Take him to visit the school before the first day of classes. He will feel more comfortable when he returns and sees familiar faces.
- Come up with a routine before the first drop off. Create a special goodbye kiss or sign off and practice it in the weeks leading up to the send off.
- Find out the schedule at the school and mimic it so the tot can have a few dry runs at home. During that time, mommy can practice giving directions, story, nap and snack time.