When I was 9, my mom took us to France on an exchange program. I fell in love with the food. I lived on quiche lorraine, chocolate croissants, and chocolate mousse. A year ago, I got a wild hair and tried to re-create the quiche. I got it right on the first try. It was fluffy, salty, and cheesy, and it took me right back to that first trip to France. I even used a gluten-free pie shell with outstanding results. Serve this for breakfast or for brunch with a mixed greens salad.
- 1 unbaked frozen 9-inch deep-dish pastry shell
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup halved and thinly sliced onion
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Gruyère cheese
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pierce bottom and sides of pastry shell with a fork. Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Increase oven temperature to 450°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan; let cool.
- Sprinkle onion, bacon, and cheese into pastry shell. Combine eggs and egg whites in a bowl, beating with a whisk. Add milk and remaining ingredients, beating with a whisk.
- Pour milk mixture over cheese mixture in pastry shell. Place quiche on a baking sheet. Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes, shielding after 15 minutes, if necessary, to prevent excess browning. Let cool on wire rack 15 minutes. Cut into wedges, and serve immediately.
Amanda Haas is a cookbook author, cooking video host, and the founder of One Family One Meal, a website that helps families menu plan, grocery shop, and cook on a budget. Her cookbook, Real Family Food, features this and other delicious family-friendly recipes, as well as simple tips for bringing your family together around the table and a strategy for meal planning, budgeting, and shopping.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Quiches
- North American
- 6 servings