Savory Italian Meatloaf Cupcakes
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons (about 5 cloves) garlic, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 4 eggs, large, one for egg wash
- 1 teaspoon salt, kosher
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, black
- 1 cup Asiago cheese, grated
- 1 cup authentic Italian breadsticks, crushed or substitute with breadcrumbs
- 2 pounds ground beef, lean
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- 1 cup marinara sauce, plain or spicy if desired
- 1 pre-packaged puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 small can pesto sauce, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or coat a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil in a 5.5 quart or medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and red bell peppers and sauté for 1 minute. Add garlic and sauté until onions and peppers are just soft. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl whisk three eggs, add basil and season with salt and pepper.
- In another small bowl combine the Asiago cheese and crushed authentic Italian breadcrumbs.
- In a large bowl combine the meat with the basil and egg mixture. Add Asiago cheese, breadcrumbs, and balsamic glaze to the large bowl. Using your hands, mix ingredients until just combined.
- Take out one puff pastry sheet and place onto a lightly floured surface area. Unfold the thawed pastry sheet. Roll the pastry sheet into the size you need. Using a pizza cutter or knife cut the sheets into the number of pastries you need. One pastry sheet makes 9 cups. Press pastries into muffin pan cups. Fill cups with 1 ounce of meat mixture.
- Top with marinara, cheese, and a dab of prepared pesto if desired.
- Whisk the fourth egg for an egg wash. Brush the visible surface of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Place the muffin tin into the preheated oven and bake for 22-25 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling, pastry is golden brown, and meat has reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Main Dishes, Beef
Source: What's For Dinner?