Skip Nav
Personal Essay
It Took Me 12 Months to Get Over Having a C-Section
Shopping Guide
The Most Instagrammable Onesies For Your Sweet Baby
The Ultimate Guide to Last-Minute Kids' Costumes

Should Parents Pay Reduced Child Support in Recession?

Moms and dads may be handed pink slips or have their wages cut, but the price of raising children isn't necessarily cheaper. In this tough economic time more and more non-custodial parents are asking to have their child support payments reduced. A recent report said:

With the economic downturn hitting men harder than women — 9.8 versus 7.5 percent unemployment — and men comprising most noncustodial parents, many dads are finding themselves struggling to make child support payments that were based on incomes they no longer earn.

What's your opinion?

Image Source: Getty
Join The Conversation
johndoe57 johndoe57 7 years
ali321 ali321 8 years
Just like to add that the custodial parent is not always the mother. There are some good dads out there who do pull their weight.
smileyface smileyface 8 years
I'm in law school, going into family law, and I have set in on many child support hearings, and done a lot of research on this topic, and the standard to get a downward modification of child support is a change in circumstances, however sometimes loosing a job and making less money is not enough of a change in circumstances to warrant a modification. Its a vicious cycle, but that's the way it is.
justanerd1975 justanerd1975 8 years
I guess I didn't answer the question- if the recession is hard on the noncustodial parent, and he does not have the child living with him, imagine how much harder it is for the custodial parent who does have the child with her. Better for one man to live without than for a mother and child to live without.
justanerd1975 justanerd1975 8 years
This is a tough one, but the main point is that the child be cared for as needed so it is up to both parents to work together to make sure that happens.
runningesq runningesq 8 years
Yes, someone can file a motion to reduce child support if he or she has a material change in circumstances.
Zivanod Zivanod 8 years
If the non-custodial parent has incurred a great decrease or even an increase in his/her salary, then yes the child support payments should alter accordingly.
EvieJ EvieJ 8 years
I think it should depend on the circumstances that were taken into account when the amount of support was decided (who earns how much, how much is each able earn, etc.). If the non-custodial parent has lost his/her job and is no longer able to afford as much support, and the custodial parent is still working, it's only fair that the custodial agree to shoulder more of the burden.
Selena Gomez Red Heels in New York City
Divorced Man in Love With Ex-Wife
How to Know If You're Ready to Date After Divorce
What Is Dead-Naming a Transgender Person?
From Our Partners
Latest Moms
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds