A regular little sandwich can go from good to spectacular simply by grilling it. I’m hungry just thinking about it!
- 1 (8 1⁄2-ounce) french bread baguette, cut crosswise into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (8-ounce) heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1⁄2-inch slices
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1⁄4-inch slices
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
1. Preheat panini grill.
2. Cut bread pieces in half horizontally. Brush uncut sides of halves evenly with oil. Layer bottom halves of bread evenly with tomato slices, cheese, and basil leaves. Sprinkle with pepper, salt, and, if desired, vinegar. Cover with top halves.
3. Place sandwiches on panini grill; cook 2 minutes or until golden brown and cheese melts. Cut sandwiches in half, if desired.
Amanda Haas is a cookbook author, cooking video host, and the founder of One Family One Meal, a website that helps families menu plan, grocery shop, and cook on a budget. Her cookbook, Real Family Food, features this and other delicious family-friendly recipes, as well as simple tips for bringing your family together around the table and a strategy for meal planning, budgeting, and shopping.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- serves 4